Tuesday, June 5, 2012

3D

On sunday I went and saw a 3D movie, which I've only done about 4 or 5 times. I was excited about the actual movie, and the 3D was more of the 'neato' thing on top of that.



About 20 minutes in, I kept taking my glasses off, more curious as to the process, than the actual effects. And that's my biggest problem with 3D. It makes such a spectacle of itself, that I forget what I'm actually there for. To see a movie. It's still a kick, and kind of neat, but ultimately, reminds me that theaters and the studios are desperate to keep people in their seats. Even showing an ad before the movie showing a TV set blowing up, followed by the tag line demanding ' See it in the theater!!!!".

I'm not sure how long audiences will be lured to spend (sometimes) double admission, and be asked to watch about 20 minutes worth of ads, just to see a movie. It just goes to show, that in the end, we just want to be told a good story.

No comments: