Thursday, March 21, 2013

Biz Markie - La Da Da (2000)

This came my way right after the 'Masters Of Illusion' music video (which was my first animated project). As it turned out, Groove Attack Records, who were involved with the 'Masters Of Illusion' single, were also featuring Biz Markie on a compilation.



News came my way that he was interested in a music video for his single. It was a bit intimidating being that it was Biz, but also that it would be my second video. I met with the label owner and got the song, all the while I was working at FOX as an animator. One day my phone rings and it's Biz himself. The conversation was brief, but he simply requested that he have a small afro, and make it like Fat Albert, yet not to make him too fat.I came up with a design, to which the label responded "He's WAY fatter than that!!". I submitted a redesign.

I had a sizable budget, and about a six month deadline. Around the same time, FOX had announced that our department was to be closed, and all employees would lose their job (this was to be the final axe of the 'dot.com' bubble).

The conditions couldn't have been more perfect considering I had some more time to make this happen. I got started, and after about 2 months, with maybe 20 seconds finished, I noticed that things weren't looking too good. I didn't even have one background completed.

A lot of it had to do with the methods I was employing to animate him. I sketched all of the shots, traced each frame in illustrator and colored them. It was a painstakingly tedious method, but I'd hoped it would keep the hand-drawn integrity. This method made the animation rather 'jumpy' and was almost impossible to smooth out. The timing on it of it seemed off as well. I literally spent the last 2 months of the project trying to sync everything as much as I could.

I ended up delivering it on time, and played it for the folks at the label. They all just sat and watched it and bobbed their heads. I took that as a good sign. The video ended up airing, and I never did get to hear Biz's reaction, but, it led to working with him on a few other projects, it was huge honor to work with one of my heroes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I LOVE this....

Unknown said...

James( Breaker!) I loved this soooooo much. Wow you're talented!!

Unknown said...

Breaker! I loved this. You are super talented. I love Biz too!!