We went through a few versions of this guy before animation started. On the left is the original version the artist had given us. This was probably a bit too complicated to animate smoothly, so, we came back with the middle sketch there. After some back and forth revisions, we finally settled on the version to the right.
As all of this was taking place, an animatic was created, timing out action for the piece.
The mouths were going to be synched with the scratching noises from the song. And being it was an instrumental, that meant the whole song. Below is the mouth chart I'd started to put together for it: