Tuesday, February 22, 2011

World Famous Supreme Team!

One of my first tastes of Hip Hop was from the Buffalo Gals LP by Malcolm McLaren (in particular the music video!!). I got the LP a while later, and in between some of the eclectic songs on the record, were radio edits from The World Famous Supreme Team. They were an actual radio act from WHBI in New Jersey. It was the first time I'd heard a radio show like that, much less one that played breaks.

The WMFU website has a clip of their first anniversary show back in 1983. They'd go on the tour with Malcolm McLaren soon after and make a couple of records with him. I was also surprised to hear how involved they were with 5 Percent Nation, which would go on to become a staple of Hip Hop years later.

C Devine and Just Allah are still around, and it looks as though they've focused more on being a comedy act, and are now based in Atlanta. I'll always know them as the World Famous, and their classic radio show.

No comments: